The national SSA has many resources and webinars available focused on COVID-19 and our industry. Click here to access news about COVID-19 and self storage. Invitations to register for the webinars are being sent to state and national members, specifically, the primary contact's email address.
For the latest information from Iowa on the COVID-19 pandemic, visit the governor’s office website and your state’s department of health here. Be sure to carefully monitor the situation and check on updates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) www.cdc.gov, regulatory agencies as well as local health officials.
Please also read the letter from Tim Dietz, SSA President and CEO, that provides resources and information related to states of emergency and pricing restrictions here.
Disaster Readiness Resources
As an IASSA member you have access to a large library of information, resources and legal help related to preparing and navigating through disasters.
Click here to access the complete library on the national SSA website. Topics include:
Price Gouging Laws
Water and Humidity
Legal Help, Self Storage Legal Network , Affiliate Plan
Communication Plan and More!
Click here for your state’s emergency management agency.
03/30/2020 - New Leave Law to Impact Storage Industry, Effective April 1
As reported last week, the new federal leave law takes effect on April 1. Employers must provide notice to their employees immediately if they have not done so already. The notice can be found here.
SSA’s updated FAQs can be found here. The updated FAQs answer questions on issues such as the posting requirements for the notice and the limited exemption available to employers with fewer than 50 employees.
The Department of Labor’s complete FAQs can be found here.
Employers are strongly encouraged to discuss the new law with their legal counsel. Please email Joe Doherty, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions.
Iowa Legislature Passes Overhaul of Storage Lien Law Goes Into Effect on July 1, 2019
Go to https://www.selfstorage.org/Products-Services/Public-Library for the new lien law
The overhaul adopts several important changes, including:
• allowing lien notices to be sent exclusively by verified mail or email;
• expressly allowing online lien sales;
• providing for alternatives to newspaper advertising of lien sales;
• providing for simplified vehicle towing;
• recognizing contractual limitations on the value of stored property; and
• setting a late fee safe harbor of $20 or 20 percent, whichever is greater.
• Notably, in light of the recent floods in Iowa, the new law requires operators to disclose in the rental agreement if the facility is in a special flood hazard area as defined by FEMA.